Water treatment for meat processing

Save on water costs and add revenue with advanced membrane technology 

Your meat processing facility is principally in the business of selling protein in its various forms; from prime cuts for human consumption through to meat and bone meal from rendered by-products for animal feed.

This process requires immense volumes of water – and inevitably, some of this valuable protein will end up locked in waste water and lost when it becomes impractical to separate.

What’s more, the waste water generated – with its high levels of organics and nutrients – will need costly treatment prior to disposal.

Syngineering has addressed these linked challenges on a commercial scale by applying our engineering knowledge and experience along with advanced technology.

VMT technology to recover protein and process stickwater

Syngineering’s VMT vibrating membrane technology works to effectively separate protein from stickwater. Combined with other technologies such as reverse osmosis, VMT can effectively process very dirty waste water, recovering as much as 75% of this water. 

The benefits are twofold:

  • The recovered concentrated protein and solids can be reintroduced to the production line, further boosting the meat and bone meal yield, and 
  • The clean water by-product from this process will be largely free of organics and nutrients.

The resulting processed water can either be recycled back into your plant’s process; further polished and reused as boiler make up water; used as wash down water, or discharged with approximately 5% of the original COD load. This can result in a huge saving on water costs for your facility.

VMT applications include:

  • Low temperature and high temperature rendering stickwater
  • Blood line wastewater
  • Separator sludge

How Syngineering makes your water supply sustainable

Introducing VMT to your meat processing plant can help recover up to 75% of water previously used. With the remaining 25% then sourced from bores, your plant can go fully “off grid” and be completely independent from the town water supply.

As a result of the VMT process, any water discharge from your plant will be potable quality water as defined by the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines. This means it can be safely reintroduced back into the water supply without EPA penalties.

Using this combination of bore water supply and recycled water within the plant can represent a significant cost saving for your business.

Reducing reliance on  the pond system to process water

A further benefit of VMT membrane processing is a reduced need for pond systems at your meat processing plant.

With 75% of water processed and recovered through VMT, the pond system is needed to process just 25% of its former load. With fewer and smaller ponds required, odours generated are substantially reduced – along with complaints from neighbouring residential areas.

To find out more about water recycling for meat processing facilities contact Syngineering online or call 1300 662 326.