Water supply for poultry rendering plants

Advanced membrane technology helps you save on water costs and add revenue

The poultry rendering process requires immense volumes of water – somewhere between 15-20L per 2kg chicken, and even more for larger birds such as turkeys. This water represents an enormous cost to your business.

What’s more, the waste water generated from poultry rendering contains fats, oils, proteins and carbohydrates from the poultry meat, skin and feathers.

This means poultry plant waste water requires costly treatment to meet BOD and COD discharge limits before it can be safely disposed of.

Syngineering has addressed these linked challenges on a commercial scale by applying our engineering knowledge and experience along with advanced technology.

VMT technology to recover protein and process stickwater

Syngineering’s VMT vibrating membrane technology works to effectively separate protein from stickwater. Combined with other technologies such as reverse osmosis, VMT technology can effectively process very dirty effluent water, recovering as much as 75% of this water. 

The benefits are twofold:

  • The recovered concentrated protein can be reintroduced to other protein solids to boost the meat and bone meal yield, and 
  • The warm clean water by-product will be largely free of organics and nutrients.

The resulting processed water can either be recycled back into your plant’s process; further polished and reused in boilers; or discharged with approximately 5% of the original COD load. This can result in a huge saving on water costs for your facility.

VMT applications include:

  • Low temperature and high temperature rendering stickwater
  • Blood line wastewater
  • Separator sludge

How Syngineering makes your water supply sustainable

Introducing VMT technology to your poultry rendering plant can help recover up to 75% of water previously used. With the remaining 25% then sourced from bores, your plant can go fully “off grid” and be completely independent from the town water supply.

As a result of the VMT process, any water discharge from your plant will be potable quality water as defined by the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines. This means it can safely be reintroduced back into the water supply without EPA penalties.

Using this combination of bore water supply and recycled water within the plant can represent a significant cost saving for your business.

Reducing reliance on  the pond system to process water

A further benefit of VMT membrane processing is a reduced need for pond systems at your poultry rendering plant.

With 75% of water processed and recovered through VMT, the pond system is needed to process just 25% of its former load. With fewer and smaller ponds required, odours generated are substantially reduced – along with complaints from neighbouring residential areas.

To find out more about water recycling for poultry rendering facilities contact Syngineering online or call 1300 662 326.